Monday, November 9, 2015

BlogPost10: The End is Near...So Summarize!

Over the course of this class I have had many opportunities to reflect on my feelings and opinions on a number of topics within the field of education. In doing so, I have had the ability to grow my understanding of the issues currently facing the field, and more fully comprehend my own personal beliefs as a pre-service teacher.

I have taken notice of my natural tendency to agree with the claims being made by each author we have worked with this semester. Whether it be Delpit and her ideas of seeing through beliefs and the importance of accepting language, or Rofes and his thoughts on sexuality, or Rofes and his methods of educating students, or even Ayers and his instructions to build bridges. Each and every time we have discussed the work of these authors, I have found myself supporting their arguments.

As a result of this, I have been able to identify my own beliefs, and the concerns I have in becoming an educator. For example, I know that I am deeply concerned about the well being of my future students. I feel as though creating a safe environment for them is essential to being a great teacher;another idea with which I am interested. Great teaching is a semi-subjective label. What, then, must I do as a teacher to be labeled as such? Through this course I now know that I must care about my students, promote activity, know what I am teaching well, and many other things (all of which I can never be certain).

Teaching is a constantly changing, and developing art. As a pre-service teacher I can try my best to refine my practice, but nothing can prepare me for what I will actually be met with upon entering the classroom. Lucky for me, this course has provided me with a groundwork with which I may move on in my studies; more aware of the ever changing, demanding, amazing field of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment