Monday, November 16, 2015

FieldBlogPost: Gearity Elementary

Before entering Gearity Elementary School, Mrs.Sugar told us that we need to "be flexible" both on that day, and in all of our teaching experience. This reigned true for our visit to this school. I was assigned to the Art room. Upon arriving, myself and another student waited for the teacher to arrive. After a considerable amount of time, we moved to the gym. Here I was able to answer the question...What characteristics make this a good school?

What I was able to glean from my time in the gym was that Gearity is all about the kids. This was perhaps the defining characteristic that distinguished it as a good school in my mind. It was apparent in the attitudes of the teachers, and in the kids that this is a place where students enjoy being. The kids were participating in a cup stacking activity in their gym time, and the sheer joy radiating from their faces indicated that they loved what they were doing. Another thing that stood out to me was the use of student ambassadors that showed us around the building. Although the art teacher never showed up, the young lady that showed me to the art room gave me the lowdown on everything and anything in the art room. I could tell by the way she was talking about crayons and paint that she enjoyed coming to school at Gearity.

No comments:

Post a Comment