Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Blog1: A Little About Me

Personal info:
1. I prefer to be called Nick by my teachers and friends, and Nicholas by my family.
2. I am from Stow, Ohio.

3. I hope to become an Adolescent Young Adult (Grades 7-12) educator for either English, or History.
4.  I am a member of the JCU Pep Band. We play for all of the home football and basketball games. I play the Alto Saxophone.

I hope to become involved with the Student Union Programming Board, and perhaps a few other student organizations on campus. I hope to become more involved as the year goes on.

I enjoy long distance running, drinking coffee, watching TV shows (both live and from Netflix), reading for pleasure, spending time with my family, and hanging out with friends.

5. Family is what matters most to me.

Please click HERE to be directed to a New York Times article outlining the importance of family. The author draws from Bruce Feiler's book The Secrets of Happy Families: How to Improve Your Morning, Rethink Family Dinner, Fight Smart, Go Out and Play, and Much More. 

I, along with the author of this article, believe that who we are, and how we act, and even the way we learn starts with family. I have been lucky enough to grow up in a very tight-knit extended family. Through my many hours spent with my parents, cousins, aunts, uncles, siblings, and grandparents I have been given the many tools necessary to go out into the world and be of service to others. I love spending time with my family and I always look forward to our get togethers.

Learning Style and More:


6. In order for me to take intellectual risks in the classroom, there must be work through which I can be creative. When an assignment requires that I do more than recite facts, or vocabulary, or simply reiterate what the instructor has already dictated, it pushes me to explore the area outside of my comfort zone.

Education Past and Present:

7. Through my education at Holy Family Grade School, and St. Vincent-St. Mary High School I have come in to contact with many teachers. Unfortunately, I have not always had teachers who teach the class effectively. On many an occasion I have been asked by another classmate to explain concepts and review information discussed during class.

Through these interactions I have come to develop a love for educating others. Many teachers (including those in my family) have talked with me about the "Aha!" moment; that moment when a student finally understands the material. Although my encounters with these moments have been brief, they have proven to be driving factors in my journey to become a professional educator.


8. I believe that adapting classrooms to utilize twenty-first century technology is one of the biggest issues facing the field of education. Present day teachers are pinned with the task of experimenting with these technologies, and evaluating which ones work, and which ones seem to fall short. While many classrooms have already incorporated the use of projectors and technologically intelligent white boards, the use of technology as a teaching supplement continues to reshape the surface of modern day learning.


About Dr. Shutkin:

9. Dr. Shutkin, what was it that made you want to be an educator?

What was it that made you stay an educator all these years?

No comments:

Post a Comment