Friday, September 18, 2015

BlogPost3: A Fall Morning on the Quad

This morning after my 9am class, I went to Einsteins, ordered a pumpkin coffee, then positioned myself in an Adirondack chair on the main quad. I watched people for a little over a half an hour, and observed what they did and where they were going
in hopes to learn more about them, and myself. Below: First is a list of my observations. I decided to include this just so anyone can see all of what I saw. Second, is a T-chart of  a few of my observations, and a few interpretations.









After completing this assignment I learned many things about myself. First, I came to know that I am very perceptive of detail. I found it a constant mental effort to slim down the length of my observations. Also, I discovered that one of the first things I notice when observing a person is their clothing. Identifying what each person is wearing allows me to remember them, especially when I can't place a name to a face. For example, I found myself assigning names such as "suspected professor," "nice polo guy," and "black shirt girl." Something that proved to be useful in my case was identifying what I was doing before writing down what others were doing. It allowed me to identify descriptive ideas first, then form educated interpretations. Overall, the things that people were doing at this time were not very different from what I expected. There were occasionally a few people who would catch my attention, such as "Dolly-girl," but my expectations were met with perfect normalcy. This Fall morning, Friday September 18, offered me a touch of self-discovery amidst the ordinary activity of a college campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment